Serifos is an island covered with stone. It has an area of approximately 75,000 sq. Km.The coastline of about 80,000 meters includes many wonderful beaches. Today the island has a permanent population of less than 1500 people.
The three largest settlements are Livadi, which is also the port, Serifos (or Chora) at an altitude of 200 meters above the harbor and Panagia north, inhabited by 2/3 of the total population.
Timeless feature of Serifos is its mines, from which iron ore, copper, and other minerals were exported
The initial exploitation of copper and later of iron is estimated to have started around 3,000 BC. With this exploitation it seems to be connected the three most famous marble towers. Aspropyrgos, Psaropyrgos and Pyrgos in Kefalas.
In Serifos, Over here grew up in the mythical Perseus, who managed to bring the head of Medusa to the king of Serifos, whom anyone who saw, was fossilized and thus saved his mother Danae.
The ancient inhabitants of Serifos worshiped Perseus. There are related testimonies, but ancient coins from Serifos (from the 6th BC century onwards) depicted either by the Perseus itself or the Head of Medusa or by Serifos Vatrahos associated with Perseus’ worship.
In the Roman and Byzantine times, Serifos is a place of politics, primarily of exile. Serifos then enters the Venetian occupation and is part of the Duchy of the Aegean. In the same period, frequent pirate raids are taking place, even by the famous pirate Barbarossa. Later on, the island underwent the Ottoman occupation.
After the release, the bloom is beginning to rise again, which peaked around 1900. Its population doubles as many find jobs in private companies which, after a state concession, are starting to systematically and intensively re-open the mines.
Conditions and hours of work were ultimately deadly and wages were not proportional. These led to the strike of the miners in Megalo Livadi, where climaxes were the episodes that followed the blockade of the harbor and led to four dead miners and four dead gendarmes. Today, there is also the relevant miners’ monument. The result of all these was to improve working conditions and in 1925 to establish the eight hours work in the mines.
Today the mines are no longer operational due to the depletion of deposits.